UNALAKLEET–Recognizing the extra commitment Norton Sound Seafood Products (NSSP) and Norton Sound Fisheries Research and Development (NSFR&D) seasonal employees make to Norton Sound Economic Development Corporation (NSEDC) and its member communities, NSEDC seasonal employees will see a $500 signing bonus, a pay increase and a chance to win weekly prizes, along with grand prizes at the completion of the season.
“Our commercial fishing and fisheries research operations cannot take place without dedicated seasonal staff,” NSEDC Board Chair Frank Katchatag said. “We recognize the contributions they will make during what we hope is the tail end of this pandemic. We simply want them to know they are valued and essential employees.”
NSSP and NSFR&D seasonal employees will again see a $2 per hour pay increase, while vessel crews will see a $25 daily rate increase in the 2021 season. These increases were instituted in mid-season in 2020 to recognize the extra commitment during the pandemic and are being carried over into 2021. In addition, NSEDC will be introducing a Seasonal Employee Incentive Program to reward employees for their hard work during these unprecedented times. Upon meeting certain criteria, seasonal employees working in our NSSP and NSFR&D operations will be eligible for:
- A $500 signing bonus for those employees who work a minimum of 80 hours, or 14 days for vessel employees
- A drawing for prizes for which seasonal employees in NSSP and NSFR&D operations would be eligible after working a minimum of 80 hours, or 14 days for vessel employees
- Weekly drawings held on Fridays, beginning July 9th, 2021 and ending August 27, 2021. Five prizes will be awarded each week (including $100 gift cards, fuel and store vouchers, and tablet computers)
- End of the season GRAND PRIZE DRAWINGS (including $1,000 cash prize (5), snowmachine (2), four wheeler (2). Freight will be included for delivery in region.
To be eligible for a grand prize, an employee will need to have worked at least 280 hours, or 50 days for vessel employees, and finish the season in good standing. To be eligible, employees must work until operations shut down, until there is a reduction in workforce, or a departure agreed upon at the employee’s hire (such as returning to school).
NSEDC is closely following developments regarding COVID-19 and continues to take the necessary precautions. Given the impact COVID-19 has had on the health and wellbeing of individuals, families, communities, and organizations, NSEDC will be mandating that all employees be vaccinated.Protecting the health and safety of our member communities is our top priority.
To confirm an applicant or employee has received a COVID-19 vaccination, applicants and employees must present written evidence of immunization from an authorized healthcare provider or pharmacy. NSEDC regards all such information as confidential.
NSEDC expects to hire roughly 250 season employees for the 2021 season in the following positions:
- Fisheries Technician (White Mountain, Koyuk, Shaktoolik, Nome & Unalakleet)
- Fisheries Technician Crew Leader (White Mountain, Koyuk, Shaktoolik, Nome & Unalakleet)
- Cleanup Crew Leader (Gambell & Savoonga)
- Seafood Processor (Nome*, Unalakleet* & Savoonga)
- Fish Buyer (Nome, Unalakleet, Golovin, Elim, Koyuk & Shaktoolik)
- Quality Control Coordinator (Nome & Unalakleet)
- Refrigeration Technician (Nome & Unalakleet)
- Safety Coordinator (Nome & Unalakleet)
*Residents living outside of Unalakleet and Nome who work in the processing plants may be eligible for a housing stipend and travel expenses.
For more information on these positions, contact NSEDC HR at (907) 274-2248 or by email at email@example.com.